Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Kicking ballistics...

Say Word...




I was speaking with someone very close to me today and it occurred to me how difficult it can be to forge an environment of respectful communication in a romantic relationship.  We argue because we feel that the other party is incapable of understanding our positions. Many of us feel our intimate relationship is not a safe place to express our frustrations, fallacies, and fears. How do we listen without defense when we are constantly on the defensive?  I can personally attest to the fact that I spend a lot of my time thinking about my strategy in a particular discussion versus actually listening.  When a message is delivered in a way that may sting, we are very quick to discard the viability and validity of the actual message because of a coarse delivery.  I don’t want the best pizza in the world to be delivered to my table by a vile and rude server.  With many things in life, communication requires balance and a little finesse.  Think about your audience and try to ascertain how they will receive your message in a favorable way and attempt to deliver it accordingly.  Many times, I don’t exude the patience or fortitude for this selfless way of communication because I am very stuck in the “rightness” of my own opinion.  Wise people say that it’s better to be “at peace” than to “be right”.  Some times I am just ready to go to war; combat boots, biological warfare, tanks, AK-47’s, dressed in the finest camouflage/ninja suit on the market.  I beg the question today, is it ever THIS deep?  The issue and the day determine my answer to this question.  Perhaps, it is plausible to develop a different approach.  It is not a cowardly thing to calm raging waters to still ones so that everyone is heard.  Let put down our weapons today and hug it out … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an open forum to express ideas, ideals and opinions. My only request is that we have respect for opinions that may be contrary to our own. Thanks a bunch and happy posting!